Asia Trip Day 3: Singapore to Malaysia

Day 3: Wednesday

Wednesday was the day we were leaving Singapore and since we had a late afternoon flight, we had a breezy morning: no alarm, slow breakfast and got packed up and ready to go. We walked to Bugis station down the road to catch the MRT to Tanah Merah – our plan was to go see the Changi Museum. On our way we instead decided to go straight out to the airport and check in early so we didn’t have our bags. Upon discovering you can only check-in two hours before your flight, we stored our bags at the airport and retraced our steps back to Tanah Merah where we caught the bus to the museum.

If you are ever in Singapore, the Changi Museum is a MUST. The museum has an audio tour that you can rent which is second only to that at Alcatraz, and the history and detail given is just right. The exhibits describe the occupation of Singapore by the Japanese for 3½ years, from 1942-45, and their ultimate surrender to allied troops after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We took our time reading and listening to everything and all up were there about an hour and a half.

Once we felt like we saw everything, back to the airport we went for a late lunch and waiting for our flight. We did some wandering around the airport but weren’t quite at the shopping stage of our trip yet, so just enjoyed the air conditioning and facilities at Singapore. Our flight from here to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, was about 2 hours long and went off without a hitch, and upon arrival is was super easy to clear customs and immigration and get a taxi to our hotel, the Cititel Express.

It was getting late and we were hungry so we dropped our bags off and went for a wander. While the rats we saw on the street were a bit of a turnoff, we still needed dinner and we stumbled upon an outdoor food court that was all about seafood. We picked what we wanted (literally pointing and saying “I want that crab”) and sat down to quench our thirst with an ice-cold beer until our food arrived. No disappointment there! Matt polished off his 400g of garlic prawns as I dug into my spicy crabs, leaving a bit behind only because my fingers hurt from the shell after a while. We decided it was time to treat ourselves, so at 11pm we booked in for an hour long foot massage on the cheap – well worth it!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s